Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Doll clothes ninja

For Christmas, Mallory received a Maplelea doll named Jenna. Maplelea is the Canadian version of American Girl. The doll has been a big hit so I am glad that she got it (even though Santa had to make some last minute changes/returns in order for it to happen.)

The thing about Maplelea dolls is that they are pricey, and their clothes and accessories are even worse. The doll came wearing some casual clothes and Mallory got a dressier outfit and a gymnastics outfit to go along with her, but these outfits are around $30 apiece so that is where Santa drew the line.

(In this picture, both Jenna and Mallory are wearing their gymnastics uniforms. Mallory requested the photo shoot. It cracked me up.)

Then I realized that there are a whole bunch of patterns out there to make your own clothes for these dolls. First off, Mallory wanted some pajamas for her, so I cut up an old piece of fleece I had on hand and made some PJs. Mallory was thrilled, though the PJs are pink and Mallory did inform me that Jenna would have preferred them in blue (which the booklet that came with the doll says is her favourite colour).

Jenna came with an official birth date, January 18, so I decided to surprise Mallory by making a couple more outfits for a birthday present for Jenna (unbeknownst to Mallory). Unfortunately, Liam is awfully perceptive, and one day he remarked to Mallory that she should just get me to make Jenna some clothes as a present. Drat! Foiled!!

Liam is now in on my secret. I showed him what I have been up to. I made Jenna a little set of sweats, including a hoodie that is super super cute but unfortunately, I think my seam allowances were too big (fabric was too bulky) and it doesn't fully do up in the back. I think she will love it anyway. I also just finished the prettiest little party dress, which was infinitely easier to sew and does fit. Mallory requested a dress that Jenna could wear for her birthday. And yes, both of these items are blue.

I have been working on all of this after Mallory is in bed for the night... I have to wait for her to fall asleep, then slip in and steal Jenna away from her for the fittings. I pack up the sewing each night so there are not scraps of blue fabric lying around as a telltale sign. I think she is starting to catch on, though, and I hope Liam hasn't let it slip.

I have a few more things planned. The fleece that made such bulky sweats might be good to make a coat, and I have some shimmery blue stretchy stuff from which I'd like to try a swimsuit (though I fully expect it to be murder to sew and wonder if I should just order one from Etsy instead!) Mallory wants underpants too, and those are cheap on Etsy and since my local sewing store does not carry fold over elastic, I might just buy one or two pairs of those, too. I have a couple of other dresses in mind with some different fabric and might do some jeans and a t-shirt or two. If only Mallory went to bed earlier...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great MOM

megan said...

Buddy, I'm sure that Leoni would love to come over and act as a fit model ( now that she is out of the coma and all).

Carrie Cook said...

Ha ha! Her recovery was miraculous!!!

Carrie Cook said...

And, I'm not sure it has anything to do with being a great mom... more like Mallory getting pulled along by one of her mom's whims. And this just happens to be one that is to her benefit!

jelly andrews said...

Nice posting! Thanks for sharing this one. I had a great time reading. I am looking forward to read more of this.

mae anderson said...

Making your own clothes for your dolls is really a great idea. It would be quite a saving. And I guess making your own dress will give you an opportunity to show your sewing skills.