Monday, February 18, 2013

Family Day 2013

Thank you to whomever came up with the idea of Family Day. A three-day weekend to break up that long stretch of non-statutory-holiday filled time between New Year's and Easter? Sign me up.
We spent our day across the border at the zoo, having just renewed our membership. Funniest line of the day came courtesy of the border crossing guard as we were entering Detroit. He took a look in the back of the vehicle and said, "what's that, a hockey bag or something?" It was the delivery more than anything else that made me laugh, like it was such a foreign concept to him that he wasn't going to touch it with a ten-foot pole. Note to self: next time I have to smuggle a dead body across an international border, hide it in a hockey bag.
The zoo was not as empty as our last winter trip and a few exhibits were closed, but most were open. Mallory did her customary strike-a-pose-and-ask-for-a-picture-beside-each-statue routine.
I did my usual picture-overload-in-the-polar-bear-exhibit routine.
After the zoo, we ran a few errands. A few weeks ago I finished this quilt that I'd started a few years back and wouldn't you know it, the red dye ran and bled into the white, despite having per washed the fabric. They don't sell Shout Color Catchers in Canada but I'd heard they would solve my problem, so a stop at Target was in order. Well, I've used four of the Color Catchers now, and they are not fixing my problem. Damn damn damn. That's the last time I mix red and white.
On the bright side, the Target was right next door to a Party City, so we also came home fully stocked up for the upcoming birthday party season.
Next we stopped off briefly at Devonshire in Windsor but it was JAMMED so we did not stick around for long. Our last stop was at the Route 42 Diner which had been recommended to Chad. He said his burger was kind of meh, but the sweet potato fries were the best I've ever had.

And with that... The long weekend is over. Boo hiss! Back to work in the morning.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Love your zoo picture!! Carrie, you look like a kid!!! I am so sorry to hear about Pip, that is awful. my thoughts are with you guys. My offer still stands for you to take one of the dogs!