Saturday, March 17, 2012

Great expectations

At about 7:30 tonight, Liam came to me with a worried look on his face and asked when we were going to make the rainbows that we eat. He was referring to our traditional end-of-the-rainbow parfaits that we have been making on St. Patrick's Day for the past four years in a row. The thing is, I wasn't planning on doing it this year. You see, we have something coming up soon (personal details whited out)......and I am about all rainbowed-out from that (including rainbow fruit so that there is at least one healthy choice on the menu). Plus, I had been planning on making a sweet treat for St. Patrick's Day dessert, but then a friend who came over for a playdate this afternoon brought a box of Timbits, and I didn't think it was necessary to have more treats in one day.

The moral of the story is, don't start a tradition for your kids and then decide to stop it on a whim. They will notice, and they will not be happy. Lucky for me, we had most of what we needed on hand to whip up some parfaits for a bedtime snack. We were missing the purple grapes, and Liam pointed that out, but I don't think he minded too much.It's not like I planned to skip St. Patrick's Day entirely. We did start the day off with a festive breakfast. We used our leprechaun dishes......and we wore our leprechaun hats......and Liam's foosball pajamas had him looking mighty festive.
This time, I used the gel food colouring to tint our pancakes green, and they turned out much, much greener than they have in years past when I used the liquid colour. The juice was tinted with liquid colour, and a couple of drops there went a long way.

No comments: