Monday, January 30, 2012

A very fun weekend: part 1

We had a very fun weekend - in fact the most fun weekend in a long time. (Or maybe not. Certainly that time off at the beginning of the year was lovely, but it seems like for-ev-er ago right now!) This was in spite of the fact that I came home from work on Friday night feeling lousy; we are all fighting scratchy throats and coughs right now. We had plans to go out Friday night, which almost never happens, and I thought about bowing out. But two Tylenol and a 20-minute power nap later we were out the door.Chad and I signed up for the Pub Brrrrrun hosted by Chatham's new running store, Up & Running. (The store opens the first week of March.) And so it was that we met downtown in an empty parking lot after dark on Friday night to do some jello shots and then go for a group run.

(Disclaimer: I stole the rest of these pictures from the event's Facebook page.) The run took us to 5 local bars over the course of almost 7 km (well, that included the run back to the car - it had been billed as a 5 km-but-not-officially-sanctioned event). Each stop was long enough for a drink and some sort of game/activity. I won two prizes - some gloves and a stick pony (don't ask). Chad made out better with a technical shirt. At least Mallory was briefly entertained by the stick pony...
I like to run but am pretty much a running hermit - I've never gone out with a group before. This night made me wonder why not. It was actually a lot of fun, even if I only knew a handful of the people there. And hey, after 20 years of living in Chatham, I *finally* made it inside the Montreal House!!

(So THAT's what all the fuss is about?? Yikes.)There's talk of another Pub Run but this one being maybe in July - when the weather is warmer. I may well sign up for it, too. It turns out that I kind of like this type of event. Maybe we'll even put a group together to do it. Don't be surprised if I come to recruit you.

3 comments:

megan said...

Now that is running that maybe I could be talked into! What do you have in your hand in that last photo Carrie Cook, a vodka cooler perhaps?

Carrie Cook said...

Consider yourself recruited! You've got six months to get ready for it. :)

Carrie Cook said...

And yes, I think you have nailed it. Like I said, it was fun!