Saturday, November 3, 2012

Halloween 2012: Post-Sandy edition

I am behind... I know everyone else posted their Halloween photos three days ago. I guess my excuse is that I wasn't overly smitten with my Halloween night pictures this year and if I'm not excited about it, I'm not chomping at the bit to share. I was later getting out of work than I'd hoped to be and things were a little rushed as a result. I don't think we got costumed up much later this year than we have in years past, but because it was raining, it was already dark. Consequently... not nearly as many pictures this year as in the past. THANK GOODNESS for our little session in the woods!
Chad dressed up as Metro Man this year to be the counterpoint to Liam's Megamind, and I was Glinda to go along with Mallory's Dorothy. Though to be honest, I look like a pretty half-hearted version of Glinda... I mean, I'm wearing an old prom gown with a running jacket underneath to stay warm, and a cardboard crown from Burger King on my head. I think in the future my mantra will be: I either go all out, or don't go out at all. Mallory, though, loved my outfit, as did lots of little girl trick-or-treaters we passed on the street.
As we've done in the past, we had a quick dinner with the family before going our separate ways trick-or-treating. I was lucky to get this one picture of them all on the porch (in the rain) before we parted. In this shot, Mallory has been outside for all of twenty seconds, but she is freezing to death. She wore a winter coat over her costume for the rest of the night.
The boys... you'd never guess Chad's costume was sized for a 12-year-old boy. He cut it apart and fit pieces of it over top of other clothing that ensured he was, well, covered. I think Liam thought they made a pretty cool pair. I think the neighbours wonder about Chad now.

Liam's friends actually came knocking this year, and the three of them went out together, with Mallory and the other parents and ourselves tagging along behind at a bit of a distance. I think Liam felt very grown-up about the whole arrangement.
We didn't get a shot of Mallory and I together until we came home from trick-or-treating. She was not really game - can you tell by her face??
But, the loot made up for it. The best part of the night for these guys is separating all their treats out into piles. Chips with chips, chocolate with chocolate.

So, we had our first Halloween rain-out, but it didn't really dampen spirits. Liam probably stayed out longer than ever before - Mallory threw in the towel a little earlier. I'm hoping it's a little warmer next year, and that whatever I wind up dressing up as, I can fit some warm clothes under my costume a little more discreetly than this.

1 comment:

megan said...

Chad just looks for reasons to wear tights.