Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The spitting image of my public school self

Tonight before bed, Liam finished reading the greatest book of all time. Well, one of them, anyway.

He was a trooper. It took him a couple of weeks to finish and I hung over his shoulder half the time, reading along with him. "You can't put it away for tonight!" I would say, "Don't you want to find out who gets the next Golden Ticket? Don't you want to know what happens to Augustus Gloop when he goes up the pipe? Don't you want to know more about the Oompa-Loompas??"

He enjoyed the book and has already asked me to track down a copy of Charlie and The Great Glass Elevator for him. I'll do that, and while I'm at it, I will also look for The Twits. That was another great Roald Dahl book and the nastiness in it will appeal to his little boy self.

This is fun stuff, enjoying the same stuff as your kids - whether it's a book with Liam, or a song with Mallory (singing along with Taylor Swift in the car) - it's hard to miss them as babies when they are turning into such cool little people to hang out with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have the ALL the Roald Dahl books - a box set I just couldn't pass up for the boys, knowing it would be YEARS before they (hopefully!) would read them! You and Liam are welcome to browse our bookshelves anytime!
Jenn

Carrie Cook said...

We might take you up on that!