Wednesday, June 6, 2012

37

This time last week, I was busy having a birthday. Not a milestone year for any reason, but the gate is that much closer to swinging shut, if you know what I mean. It wound up being a pretty great day because I was initially scheduled to drive up to Toronto with a coworker for a meeting. Number one, I hate traveling for work, and number two, when I have to travel for work I prefer to do so solo. So when the meeting was canceled at the last minute, I was elated.

Still, it was a workday for us and a school day for the kids, and gymnastics night for Mallory, so there wasn't a whole lot of time to do anything extraordinary. We BBQ'd some steaks for dinner and followed them up with an ice cream cake from Coldstone Creamery. I'm glad we tried it but we probably won't get another one anytime soon.


Mallory was quite excited to move on to the presentation of the gifts. In typical Mallory fashion, she made me six separate birthday cards. Then she gave me a "pink bracelet" which is really a RoadID. It's a good idea and now I wear it every time I go out. Liam gave me a running visor, and he must have asked half a dozen times before the Trot to the Beach whether I was going to wear it. It was not a particularly sunny day, but how could I say no? Chad gave me a few books and they are both awesome reads. I finished A Life Without Limits a couple of days ago and am now totally engrossed in You Are An Ironman. Chad says he will no longer buy me books if I'm just going to use them up so fast.

I also received some cool vintage glassware and candy from friends... proof that there is more to me these days than just sports.


But back to the sports thing. The second part of my birthday gift is due to arrive at my local bike shop any day now. I am going to T-R-Y a road bike, and clipless pedals to boot. Hoping that I don't have to use the RoadID while learning how to ride this thing.

No comments: