Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Bah Humbug: Halloween edition

Yesterday was the first Halloween since I have had teeth that I did not eat about 40 mini-sized candy bars and collapse into a sugar coma. I did not eat a single piece of candy yesterday, not because I am being virtuous but because the thought of food still turns my stomach, even though I am now a couple of days out from the puking. Unfortunately, even though the kids were more than game for trick-or-treating, I think they felt pretty similar. They both just had a small nibble of their stash before heading off to bed. Like I said... this has not been the Best Holiday Ever at the Cook household... damn germs. Oh but wait, the story gets better. I finally had a doctor's appointment for Liam yesterday, the one I had to book five days prior, the one during which I would figure out why he's been sick for the past two weeks. I raced out of the office, through a construction zone, picked him up from school, got held up by a funeral procession on my way back over the bridge to the doctor's office, walked into the office ten minutes past the appointed time... and the doctor had left. He was late for lunch or something, I guess. I swore on the inside for a good long time for that one. I have never, ever had to wait less time than that to be seen - but late is late, I suppose. *sigh* For the first time this year, having them more local to us now, our cousins joined us for the first part of the night. We typically order pizza for Halloween (I know, super original, right?) so they joined us for that and for a few getting-the-costumes-on shots.
I never did get a shot of each of the kids' pumpkins except for this one. Liam drew that face and carved it all himself. Mallory has developed a pumpkin phobia (seriously!) and would not come near this one, even though Chad did Ariel's face for her.Our first stop is always next door, which went a little worse than usual this year since our neighbour decided to string up some dolls by their throats. Mallory was not amused. I was not amused when she wanted the wig off after about the fourth house, and I wound up carrying it around for the rest of the night. (Can't say I was all that surprised though!)I love these pictures... we arrived at this door at the same time as a whole gaggle of kids... and the bigger kids pushed their way in front of her (I think Liam was three steps in front of the group and got out in the nick of time.)
Here she is... still waiting.

We went to fewer houses this year than last since nobody was feeling great, but it was cold out so it was nice to be home early. The kids had a hoot again this year running to answer our own doorbell and making sure that our visitors all got the right allotment of candy dropped into their bags. The cat meowed from the basement for two hours nonstop until the last TOT'er left and we let him out. And with that... Halloween 2011 is over. When I get some energy back I will take down all the decorations, but since that's when I usually also haul out Christmas which is a pretty large undertaking... it may be a while.

No comments: