Sunday, November 13, 2011

On the mend

Saturday morning's vomit incident has traumatized Mallory a little bit. Though she only threw up the once - well, it sort of happened in three different waves, but still just one overall incident - she was terrified all day long that it would happen again. The first 'wave' happened when she coughed, and her illness has morphed from a fever to vomiting to (now) a cough, and so every time she coughed yesterday (which happened with great frequency) she has a Tupperware container in front of her mouth in case anything came out. She is also convinced that she was sick because she drank grape juice and even though grape juice is one of her very favourite drinks, she doesn't think she will ever be able to drink it again without the same thing happening.

This may all sound a little bit cuckoo, but I totally sympathize with her. I have a fear of throwing up myself, one I thought was just my own thing until I saw a Seinfeld episode where Jerry admits to the same fear, and really, it does make sense; I mean who likes throwing up? Lucky for Mallory, she has been blessed with a pretty tough stomach. The last time she threw up was as a nine month old, the night she ruined Cory's birthday party (and possibly his dining room rug). So, four years between incidents: not too shabby.

This weekend was a little bit wacky in that Mallory had ringette at 7:30 on Saturday morning, this afternoon, and then has it again tomorrow night. We did not take her yesterday morning, figuring that after the last session, we'd be lucky to get her on the ice once this week, let alone three times, and that the 7:30 a.m. session would be the first one to get cut. It's a good thing we didn't take her because the way the timing worked out, she would have been puking on the ice rather than at home. Although that would have spared my rug, I'm not sure how the other parents would have felt about their kids' lesson/practice being interrupted like that. What do they do when someone throws up on the ice? I'm picturing a big patch of purple ice at the arena and it's kind of making me laugh.

1 comment:

megan said...

Oh now I feel bad for singing the praises of ringette so loudly. That picture of Mal and the girls from a few years ago is so cute! Look how little they all are, Mal is the same age now that Audrey was then. Time goes so fast!