Sunday, May 6, 2012

Cinco de Mayo

We used to go to regular Cinco de Mayo parties at Darin and Jenn's. Then they had kids and real life intervened for a while. But I think they are starting to emerge from the baby fog now (aren't we all?) and with Cinco de Mayo actually falling on a Saturday this year... what better time to do it?

Before anything could interfere, or anyone could get too dirty or overtired or cranky, we threw on some party hats and posed for a picture. Behold, the May entry for Four People Twelve Times. Glad to have it out of the way so early in the month!
Then, we ate a ridiculous number of chips and dip, fajitas, and the like. I even drank margaritas. Woo woo! Big night out for me. 
After dinner and before it got dark, they strung up the piñata that had previously stood sentry over the kitchen counter. (Hey, look at that. The new Blogger is a pain in the ass in every way imaginable, but it now knows how to put a tilde over the 'n' in 'piñata'.) There were a few near misses with the big stick, but in the end, everyone went home with their eyes intact. I have a bunch of these pictures of the kids swinging at the piñata and what makes me laugh in every single one is Darin and Jenn trying to make sure the stick doesn't stray too close to the crowd, and that they themselves don't get whacked.
The kids stayed up past their normal bedtime, but I took them home when the tequila shots came out. I don't think anything would have happened even if we had stayed later though... Cinco de Mayo wraps up earlier these days than it did in the past. And I think that is OK by each and every one of us. I got home close to 9:30 and to be honest, I was exhausted. I don't have it in me for late nights anymore.

No comments: