Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Celebrating May Two-Four

We had a fantastic long weekend, and let me clarify what I mean when I say that: we essentially stayed home for three days straight. I didn't put any makeup on. I didn't talk to anyone outside of my family for three days, except for clerks at the grocery store and the nursery. And I loved every minute of it. What can I say... I'm an introvert.
This weekend, we crossed so many jobs off the list that I almost feel like all is right with the world. We weeded the entire yard and cleaned out the garage, finished opening the pool and washed the windows, put the winter bedding away for the season and pulled out the summer, dug up a tree that didn't survive the winter and planted a new one in its place, planted our annuals, refilled the bird feeder... the list goes on and on.
We also fit in lots of time for fun stuff. The pool was used daily, even if the water is still a little chilly. We played tennis and rode bikes and "washed" the cars (the fun kind of washing, not really the productive kind of washing), and we BBQ'd and ate our dinner out on the patio.
I can be antisocial at the best of times, but especially when the to-do list gets to be so long. So spending a weekend tackling all of these things was exactly what I needed. We have spent the past few weekends running and will spend the next few weekends running, so the timing couldn't be better.
Oh, and running. Yep, we fit some of that in, too. Chad and I both did a long run this weekend, first thing in the morning, before it got too hot. I went out on Sunday and he went out on Monday. I can't speak for him, but for me, that 12.83 miles was the last long run on the calendar before the Trot to the Beach. The hay is in the barn.
Every night this weekend, our backyard has been lit up by our neighbours' fireworks. The most spectacular display came on Sunday night and we woke the kids up and took them outside to watch the show until almost 10 p.m. Too bad I didn't think to grab the camera before the best of it was over. These fireworks from the other side of Tweedsmuir were less spectacular, but still pretty cool to watch when you can do so without leaving home.
Now if only I could take a lesson from how good it feels to have done so much outside, and apply the same principles inside the house. Yes, we do still have some Easter decorations out, and have I told you that I have *ten* pictures framed and waiting to be hung... TEN??? And some of them have been ready to go for months and months.

Maybe next weekend.

No comments: