Saturday, August 18, 2012

By far, the triathlon I'm most proud of.

 He did it... he really did it this year!
Funny enough, the day before the event, we found out that one of his friends was going to do it, too. I'm sure that helped to ease some pre-race jitters!
The pre-race meeting with the race director, receiving instructions. I'm not sure how much a bunch of 7 year olds get out of being told to "keep the buoys to your left, except at the end, go inside the last buoy." They were all looking at him like... wha?? How do you go *inside* a buoy? Luckily, there were lots of lifeguards on the course pointing the way!
The lambs going to slaughter... er... athletes heading to the start. :)
And coming back into shore, with the race director trying to signal to them where the beach access was. The leader had veered a little off-course!
 Liam running up the beach after an awesome swim. He nailed it. And didn't even need a wetsuit!
 At the bike mount line. 
And heading out on the run course.
Then, after a run through the woods, heading for 
the finish line. He and the little girl had a sprint-off and finished with the exact same time.
How awesome was this? To my delight, Liam came second in his age group! And his little buddy took first!


Admiring their hardware post-race. I am thinking both of them caught the triathlon bug.

I am *so* proud of Liam today. Hoping I can make him equally proud when it's my turn to race tomorrow.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Too cool! Way to go Liam!

Dawn said...

oh geezzzz he rocked that tri!!! Were they able to stand in the water?? That makes me so nervous in my belly just looking at the pictures!!

Carrie Cook said...

Yup, they could touch the whole way.

I did the grown-up version of the event the following day, and the water was unbelieveably choppy. Very slow swim times for everyone (ok, maybe a little more so for me!) Very glad the kids' day was so glassy and calm for them!