Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The passage of time

Last weekend, we made our annual trip to Parks to pick blueberries. We missed strawberry season this year so I was happy to fit this trip in on a half day we had free. Unfortunately, our timing was off. We hit the tail end of picking for one variety, so the bushes were sparse, but the next variety over which was just beginning had far more unripe berries than ripe ones. Picking was not as easy as it has been in the past so we made do with just one bucketful.

Also, there was no wagon ride to the back of the field, and the woman working the booth when I asked about it looked at me like I had three heads when I inquired. I thought that was odd. We've been going there annually for at least eight years now, and I have the proof. There have always been wagon rides - it's not like I'm making this up.
Anyway, here is this year's picture of Liam:
And here he was last year:
Mallory in 2012:
And Mallory in 2011:
 Mallory, who does not eat blueberries, actually surprised me by being a good little picker who made a significant contribution to the number of berries we brought home.

Liam just picked and ate. He also entertained nearby pickers by trying to throw the berries up and catch them in his mouth - he actually got one or two in, though he missed far more than that:
And Mallory made up a song about picking blueberries, which she sang for the little old ladies picking nearby, but would not sing for me.
After an hour or so in the sun, we headed into the bakery for a treat and then home for a swim. A great way to spend a morning in August.

No comments: