Thursday, August 2, 2012

Update

I was not-so-subtly asked for an update on our pet. I've been meaning to get this posted all week, but life has gotten in the way, and by "life" I really mean "tape-delayed prime-time Olympics coverage". Anyway, here's the status of our pet caterpillar. I believe this photo was taken last Friday, after we cleaned out his jar and gave him some fresh munchies. By the time we went to bed Friday night, he had sworn off the milkweed and was hanging upside down from the stem he is on here. When we got up on Saturday morning, he was still there, and despite our frequent checking on him, nothing changed by the time we left the house around 1 p.m. Saturday afternoon. We were home not 4 hours later and... no more caterpillar. The cocoon was complete. I was pretty bummed that we missed the entire cocoon-building process. I mean, it's almost as if he was waiting to be left alone before he built it. But the good news is that I think it's supposed to turn from the jade-green colour it is today, into a clear shell with the butterfly clearly visible, before he comes out. Hopefully, he will not wait for a day we aren't home to do that.

(Generally speaking, I feel like my camera lens collection covers most of my needs (if not wants), but right now I am really wishing I had a macro lens!)

So there you have it. More to come on "CaterMarch" (Mallory's name for him) when we have news.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I'm never subtle. :o)