Wednesday, December 12, 2012

There are better role models than Macaulay Culkin out there, but whatever.


So, it's happened. The day I have long been preparing for. I officially have my kids hooked on their first John Hughes movie: Home Alone. (I do indeed hope to eventually hook them on Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Some Kind of Wonderful, but I will take it one day at a time. Hey, now that I think about it, they started getting into Vacation over the summer while we watched reruns in anticipation of our own road trip out West; so maybe this is their second John Hughes film crush.)

They did watch Home Alone last year and loved it, but this year they have been begging for it. For, like, the past month. Home Alone 2 was on TV several weeks ago so we DVR'd it and have been watching it, and they like it too, but still they've been asking for the original, as well they should. It's definitely the best.

I love watching these movies just to have the kids explain the finer plot points to me. "See mom, the power went off, so the alarm clock didn't go off, so everyone was in a rush, and then they counted heads but one kid was the NEIGHBOUR and they thought it was Kevin but he got left home alone!"

I wouldn't have known that if Liam hadn't spelled it out for me. :)

Anyway, Home Alone was finally on on Sunday night, so darn right we recorded it, and we watched the first hour on Sunday with plans to finish the following day. But then Mallory was being sassy on Monday and had her TV privileges taken away. Gosh darn it, Mallory! So we had to finish it up last night instead.

My kids are entering their prime movie-viewing years. I think I have a very juvenile taste in films. I am also really partial to Back to the Future and I think that should be on Liam's radar any day now.

Last night we saw a preview for a Home Alone marathon coming up on December 23rd. The first 2 Home Alone movies are great - the third one is pretty bad - I have never seen the 4th one - and now they are debuting a new made-for-TV Home Alone 5! I don't expect much, but you never know. Maybe they will make John Hughes proud with this one.

No comments: