Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Great Lake swimmer

On the weekend I met some friends at Erieau for an open water swim. I need all the practice I can get and am too chicken to swim on my own so when the suggestion was made, I jumped at the chance.

I sold this to the family as an equal-opportunity event. Chad could ride his bike to the beach, I would drive with the bike rack and meet him there, the kids would bring their swimsuits and sand toys and we'd all go for ice cream when we were done.

The first hitch came with blustery winds straight out of the south. Chad's pace for his ride was relatively dismal. It was supposed to be an enjoyable ride but I think it turned into a chore.

(Here we are passing Chad on our way out to the beach - Mallory begged me to pull up behind him and honk - then we passed and pulled over to let him catch up to us again. Photo not taken while driving!)

Then it was my turn to struggle - the lake was freezing. FREEZING. We were all wet-suited up but the water was painfully cold for the first few minutes. After that I think I just went numb. It was originally going to be closer to an hour-long swim, but we threw in the towel after half an hour. I had to take a long hot shower back at home. Of course, the kids didn't get in the water due to the temperature, either.
And then, to top things off, the Erieau ice cream shop was closed. I've heard that they are struggling out there with the cold weather so far this year... the tourists are not flocking in as they usually do. I get that it's cold, but still - a weekend afternoon, and the ice cream shop is closed? Come ON. We drove back to town and went to our local joint instead.

So... not a resounding success. We will try it again in a few weeks - at least, I hope to. I would like to swim at the beach regularly this summer and I'm hoping the rest of the family is game for another try. This might become an enjoyable way to spend a few hours every few weeks... if only the weather will cooperate.

No comments: