Thursday, June 6, 2013

Last weekend, right in time for this weekend

All went well last weekend. I did not pick up whatever bug it was that was bothering Mallory - a bug that wound up bothering her for about 4 days all told. She was only sick the once, but off her food and otherwise a little punky right up until yesterday. I went to Belle River on Sunday morning and finished my first race of the season. The conditions were tough - it was extremely windy out, which made for a slow bike and had whitecaps on the water - but I finished in well enough stead to pick up the 3rd female overall award. (Note that this was a small race and there were only 7 competing in my division!) It turns out that awards are not all they're cracked up to be; I received a framed piece of paper proclaiming that I'd won first in age group (i.e. wrong award), three extremely oversized cotton t-shirts (that I will probably cut up and use as rags for a project I'm working on) and a water bottle (which I will actually use). 

After the race I booted it home to the family, and we headed out to our annual Family Day at the local stables. This year Liam was old enough to skip the pony-riding ring and go on an actual trail ride. (Well, truth be told, he did both.) They gave him a small horse who was well-trained to follow the horse bum in front of him, and Liam really enjoyed the experience.
Mallory wanted to ride a pony and get her face painted, and she spent some time in the craft gazebo, but she clearly was not feeling 100% as she didn't have a bite to eat for lunch and she also skipped the bouncy castles (which she normally would have been all over.)
I didn't get a lot done last weekend - I tried to take it easy on Saturday with the race on Sunday - but we are continuing to chip away at some small tasks in the yard. The stone needs a bit of evening out still, and we have some pervasive weeds that need attention. A couple of weeks ago we installed some new plants including some peonies. This one is "Bowl of Beauty" and I just love it.
Yesterday this little fluffball had to go back to the OSPCA for a shot. We found out that she is a little runt; she is due to be spayed since she is now 2 months old, but they won't do it if she's not at least 2 lb, and she's only 1.25 lb. She needs another shot next month so they'll re-assess at that time.

One more day of work today, and then we're into another weekend - I am taking Friday off to help chaperone a kindergarten field trip. Hoping for nice weather and lots of fun on our adventure tomorrow.

No comments: