Sunday, June 23, 2013

One week ago

Last Sunday at this time, we were just returning home from what's become an annual tradition for us: the Tomatoman triathlon in Leamington. This year, knowing he would be there anyway, Chad decided to sign up for it too, and he competed in the duathlon.
Because it's such a great race, and fairly close to home too, there was a large contingent of people I knew there, including a big turnout from TriCK - the triathlon club that started up here a few months ago. 
Unfortunately, the race itself was not a great one. My swim was a little faster than last year, but I finished 3 minutes slower overall - a little slower on the bike, a lot slower on the run, and having lost time in transition as well. Last year I rode this course on my old bike and I definitely had expected to improve with my road bike. I suppose it makes sense to have lost time in transition though, since now I have to change shoes twice instead of just once. In an ideal world, the time saved on the bike would more than make up for that. I am not sure where I am going wrong.
So the elusive goal of a sub 1:30 sprint distance race remains just that - elusive. That 1:30:05 I clocked in Leamington last year may well be the closest I come!!
Oh well - I was thankful just to finish. A couple of days later I pinched a nerve in my neck or some such crazy thing and had a couple of days where I couldn't move my shoulder/arm without some serious pain. I am feeling back to normal now and am going to test it out; meeting up with some TriCK'ers at the lake this afternoon to get some more open water practice in. Hoping the water is a lot warmer than it was last time.

No comments: