Saturday, June 15, 2013

To be fair

Liam is not the only kid in town with a year-end field trip. Last week I accompanied the kindergarten class on their end of year trip, too. Their destination was Point Pelee.
The difference between the pictures from Liam's trip and the pictures from Mallory's trip strikes me as funny.  On Liam's trip, everyone is wearing shorts and t shirts, as is befitting a June event. A few days prior to that, people were bundled up in winter coats, and we were still freezing out there on the beach. So much for spring and at this rate, summer is not looking good, either.
Mallory was not bothered by the cold weather. She proclaimed her field trip to be the 'best day ever'. She was happy to wander on the beach and search out shells, which found their way into MY coat pockets for the trip home. I had to wash my coat when we got back because quite a few were pulverized along the way.
Mallory is an A day student and the B day kids had their trip the day prior. The teacher remarked on how different the shape of the point was between the days. We also got hit by a lot of bugs, which they managed to avoid.
Mallory started out as a reluctant model, but eventually she wanted me to take her picture everywhere, including this sign marking the 42nd parallel - as far south as Rome and Barcelona, as the sign said.
Another class photo. I think everyone was there that day. Funny how nobody gets sick on field trip day!
After we went out to the point, we strolled the boardwalk marsh trail.
Well, the adults strolled. The kids took off.
No complaints though, because the bus driver had to be back at school to do the high school pick-up at 2:15. So the fact that the kids were out and back in record time served her well.

And with that... another vacation day bit the dust! I'm sure the day will soon come when the kids don't want me along on their trips, though. Until that day comes, I will try my best to be there.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I loved Point Pelee....and it is definitely on the list of places to take the kids when we come back - hopefully not in windproofs though ....