Friday, July 19, 2013

Making our way through the summer bucket list

We started a list of things we wanted to do this summer back when school ended. The idea was quickly abandoned though when I realized nobody was into it except for me. But before I dropped it, I did hear that the kids wanted to go blueberry picking again this year.
As is usually the case, our summer weekends are quickly filling up. Last Sunday we didn't have much planned and when we headed out of town on Saturday, we heard that the blueberry patch had just opened. So even though we were out of town on Saturday, and I was headed out to Erieau again on Sunday afternoon, we decided to squeeze a quick trip to Thamesville in on Sunday morning.
Actually, we'd talked about it as a possibility, and then on Sunday morning I was lazing about and didn't really feel like going... but Liam was adamant. He is not this gung ho about many things, but blueberry picking is something he is fiercely protective of. We were going and that was that. He was so anxious to see the sign and see how tall he was... thought he was going to hit the 5' mark. Really he's about 4.5'. Maybe next year buddy!
(Here he is modeling his completely blue head-to-toe outfit, including underpants. Like I said, he was enthusiastic. I was originally wearing a pink shirt but I was heckled and so I changed into blue, too.)
(Thamesville will be home to a huge War of 1812 re-enactment this fall. It's rumoured that the Queen is coming for it. Yeah yeah, I doubt it too!)
After picking blueberries, we needed to cool off... and the cousins came by for a swim, too.
So, we did it - we knocked at least one item off the list. I can now line up 8 blueberry patch photos to mark Liam's 8 trips in the 9 years he's been on this earth, and Mallory is 7 for 7. It was never intentional, but it's pretty cool.

No comments: