Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Scenes from a Canada Day weekend

Our Canada Day weekend looked pretty much like you'd expect in most ways. There was some enjoying of the great outdoors...
Some fun and games with family...
Some treats (I may or may not have fed my kids leftover strawberry shortcake for breakfast yesterday morning):
And some fun with pyrotechnics. We stayed small scale, with a few packs of sparklers to entertain us. (We even got Mallory to hold some; big step forward for a fire-phobic girl.)
But we also went to some local fireworks, saw even more fireworks our neighbours were setting off from a viewpoint in our back yard, and last night I realized that we had a great view of our city's fireworks from my bedroom window.
More fun with sparklers. Penmanship is a tricky thing when there are no lines to write on.
We went downtown for the local celebration. We were lucky to do this early in the day because after that it just poured. Seriously, what is up with the weather? I don't ever recall having a cold Canada Day before. 
The kids played soccer last night and I was wearing jeans, a t shirt and a hoodie, and if I'd had another layer I would have been wearing that, too. In July. Unreal.
This week, the kids are at Camp Gramma and Grampa for a few days... enjoying a sleepover at the trailer. They are pumped to be there - it might be difficult getting Mallory jazzed up to do day camp at the YMCA next week. We have an assortment of day camps, stay home days and a family trip planned for the summer, so if there's something she doesn't like the good news is that within a few days, it will change. Here's hoping I can keep up to date with what they're doing and where they're supposed to be going on my calendar. It's much easier when they simply go to school every day!

No comments: