Sunday, July 21, 2013

Photo overload, but this race was all about the visuals

It's been a few years now that I have been saying I am going to do the Bluewater Triathlon. It's the only one on my local circuit I haven't been to now, and it was on Saturday. I had planned to do it this year (really!) but then I heard that The Color Run was coming to town on the same day.
We thought that might be something fun we could do as a family, so The Color Run won out. The kids did not take too much convincing to sign up, though Mallory eventually started saying she wanted to back out. Luckily, the counsellors at her daycamp last week were all running it. They were talking about it and got her excited again, too... though we would come to find out that excitement would be short-lived!
You wouldn't know it from this shot though...
The weather turned nice after that big string of storms right as we started. We ran for about five minutes and then Mallory wanted to walk. And not only did she want to walk, she wanted to complain the whole time. It was too hot... it was too far... "I didn't ASK to enter the longest race on Earth!" she said. I nearly dumped her in the Detroit River and went on without her.
Liam had a blast though, and how could you not? Here we are inside one of the Color Zones. (Yeah, The Color Run is an American thing - thus the spelling!) The colour powder is cornstarch. It was not as difficult to breathe as I'd feared and we didn't get it in our eyes. All was well.
What's this? Mallory actually running a few steps again?
Ah, it's because she's on a mission to get her dad.
Approaching the final Color Zone.
This is what we looked like at the end of the race... covered from head to toe!
One of the volunteers wandering by handed the kids a few extra packets of colour, which they promptly used to attack Chad.
I got a bit of it, too.
Despite how we were all disguised by the end, and despite there being 11,000 people there, I managed to find Anne!
We hung around the 'after party' for a bit, using up our last bits of colour and watching the coordinated colour-bombings going on... but by then it was getting late and we had to get going. 
We stopped at McDonald's on our way home, where a lot of other Color Runners were congregating, too. I think we freaked out the general public. We are no worse for the wear today, except that I have a streak of blue in my hair that didn't wash out. Thanks to the likes of Katy Perry and her ilk, I am going to consider this hip rather than "old lady whose rinse turned her head blue". Hopefully it doesn't last too long - I have not had funky-coloured hair since I purpled myself during frosh week in university. It was OK at 19 but at twice that age, it's not really my thing.

(Oh, and as for that Bluewater Triathlon? - on account of bad weather, the swim was cancelled and it was turned into a duathlon - so I don't think I missed out on much anyway!)

No comments: