Friday, July 5, 2013

Staycation 2013

This week, the kids spent several nights at Camp Gramma and Grampa. They'll be going to several daycamps this summer, but the weeks involving a long weekend they are going to sleepaway camp at the trailer (combined with a few vacation days we're taking to stay home with them).

They were at the trailer for three nights. That's the longest they have ever been away from home. We weren't quite sure what to do with ourselves, having a break like that. I dubbed it our Staycation - we could do whatever we wanted! Party time for the adults! The kids set off Monday night, after soccer, and by 8:30 we had the house to ourselves. I was exhausted from the holiday weekend, having had several successive early mornings combined with late nights (damn you, fireworks!!) I was set on going to bed early. Instead I got sucked into watching the Lifetime Jodi Arias movie. Time not well spent.

I vowed on Tuesday to do something more productive. It was a busy week at work and I was at the office later than normal. By the time I came home and went for a spin, it was late. We grabbed something to eat and I found myself in front of the TV again. I got about 15 minutes into Extreme Weight Loss or some such thing when I realized the week was going to be over and I wouldn't have anything to show for it. I got my ducks in a row and finally finished hanging the gallery wall in Mallory's room (with some assistance from Chad). It's been in the works for months - frames assembled and hanging plan plotted out; just needed to get around to it. It was actually a lot faster to hang than I'd imagined - not sure why I put it off for so long.
(OK, it's not entirely done. Still looking for something to add to the lower right!)

On Wednesday night, Chad and I had a date. We first heard about The Lone Ranger movie last summer while in Utah - where parts of it had been filmed. So we were keen to see it... at least until Wednesday morning, when all the terrible reviews were published. We had to make a decision: spend 2.5 hours of free time on what could well be a terrible movie, or skip it and get something else done instead? We decided to see the movie and I'm glad we did. It was too long, but it wasn't as terrible as the critics made it out to be. The scenery was beautiful and the last half hour's action sequence was a lot of fun.
Thursday night... how did the end come so quickly? Another busy day at the office and then I'd planned to meet a group at the lake for a swim. We waffled a bit since the weather didn't look good, but went and it was actually a great night for it. The storm blew in after I was back in the car. Picked up a couple teeny tiny pieces of sea glass to add to my collection. (It's hard to find out there!!)

From the lake, I drove around the bay to the trailer to pick up Chad (who'd ridden his bike out) and the kids. Mallory looked very tan and Liam looked like he grew two inches in the time he was away. They told us stories about Camp Gramma and Grampa the whole way home. I think they had a good time.
 Today we took some vacation time to stay home with the kids. The weather was lousy and we found ourselves back at the movie theatre... twice in one week! That's a record for us. This time around, we saw Despicable Me 2: received much more favourably by the critics, but dare I say it wasn't as good as the first one?
And with that... our Staycation is over. Back to real life with the kids... at least until August, when they will pack up for another couple of nights. Next time around, I will plan out how I'm going to spend my time, but also be more realistic about how much can be done in a day.

No comments: