Sunday, October 23, 2011

At the patch

On the weekend, we took advantage of the beautiful weather and met up with some cousins at the pumpkin patch. We couldn't have timed it better - it was the perfect fall day. And with only ten days until Halloween, it was none too early to get some pumpkins!As usual, Liam played the role of Mr. Muscle Man and insisted on doing all of the heavy work. I was afraid he would strain something and miss out on hockey later that afternoon, but he survived. Toward the end of our visit he figured out that rolling the pumpkins to the wagon rather than carrying them would save him some energy... smart kid...
The patch we visit is not really a 'patch' per se, but there are enough other decorations there to make up for it... though I think perhaps they had scaled back a bit this year. They have three locations in town now rather than just one though - maybe they have spread themselves too thin?
Mallory selected a couple of pumpkins but mostly she ran around instructing me to take her picture. "Take my picture with these pumpkins, mom!" "Take my picture with THESE pumpkins, mom!" "Now take my picture with this witch!" "Now take it with this black cat!" My goodness, words like that were music to my ears... not so much in that particular setting, but if she wants to play model for me??? I will be over the moon!!
I was a little bit afraid to take her up on these offers because we had plans for later that afternoon to attempt a Christmas card photo. Yes, Halloween and Christmas all in one day. If you're going to do a picture you'd might as well do it when the weather is good... there is nothing worse than trying to get a natural smile out of kids while they are freezing to death - I know this from personal experience. We did get a couple of keepers, though this weekend I did photos for two other families as well and there are a few keeper shots in each of their sets that have me wishing I'd used their locations rather than our own. (The grass is always greener, and all of that.) Anyway, Mallory had not used up all of her modelling energy at the pumpkin patch and still had a little left in the tank for the afternoon. Now to plan a few more sessions with her... I have not been shooting very much lately and am missing it a little, and would very much love to take her up on any future offers.

No comments: