Sunday, February 12, 2012

Another week bites the dust

This week was marked by Liam having either several consecutive sicknesses or else one single sickness that kept morphing. As a result he had a fever, headache, two completely different rashes, one trip to the walk-in clinic, one sick day home from school, one appointment with our family doctor that was cancelled at the last minute because he seemed to be doing better and then a trip to the ER the following day when he suddenly started complaining of neck stiffness and pain (and as a parent your first thought is always: MENINGITIS!) When we walked into the ER on Friday night they immediately quarantined us, because the second rash Liam developed looked exactly like chicken pox. I don't think it really was chicken pox, though; the spots were not itchy. Or at least maybe I am just telling myself it was not chicken pox, because the doctor we had seen earlier in the week told us Liam was not contagious and said to send him back to school, so we did, and I even put a note in the bag to Liam's teacher saying I know he looks like he has chicken pox but he doesn't, so please don't worry about him infecting the entire class. Perhaps I should have gotten the second medical opinion before writing that note. Regardless, he had some sort of viral infection, we think, which may have been a mild case of chicken pox, possibly, which raises the point - so why did we bother getting him vaccinated against that disease then??Anyway, this all serves to explain (somewhat) where the past week has gone. In between all the medical goings-on, we did manage to sneak a few other things in. The kindergarten class took their skating trip, and I'll be darned if Mallory didn't have a grand old time hot-dogging it around the ice, showing off to the other kids (whose parents are not mean enough to enroll them in ringette).Liam took advantage of his sick day at home, during which he was a little too active for my taste and did not allow me to get as much work done as I probably should have, to continue to decorate his bulletin board. Here's the latest incarnation.Aside from a couple of soccer medals and a paper decorated with football team logo stickers, it is 100% hockey related. I think Liam needs to branch out a little and get some more hobbies.Close ups of a few pieces of new artwork.Mallory decided to get in on the action, too; here's her bulletin board - a far cry from the organized full-to-the-brimness of Liam's, but she's working on it.Too bad I could not follow the example set by these two and get some things done as well. I have six framed pictures sitting around our bedroom that I am agonizing over hanging, because despite having worked out an arrangement for the frames and sizing the photos and having them printed and working out on paper the measurements of where the prints should go... I am chicken to start putting them on the wall, lest they turn out the least bit asymmetrical or unlevel. Procrastination is my middle name. Hoping to make that the big accomplishment of the day.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I see Aunt Amy on Mallory's board! LOL