Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Resolute

I've kind of missed the boat on New Year's resolutions, but it's February 1st now and I figure better late than never. I started the year bemoaning the fact that I injured my back during Week 2 of my half marathon training plan, essentially putting the kibosh on doing the Burlington half marathon in early March this year. But after wallowing in sugar cookies for a month, I snapped out of it and am moving on with a plan.

My plan for this year originally included a lot of races and then after I injured myself again, I sort of settled down and said I just wanted to be healthy enough to go out and do things - not necessarily train for anything in particular. Well, that didn't last very long. I am still going to go easy on the training (i.e. I will not attempt another speed workout on the treadmill anytime soon, because while I pleasantly surprised myself by being able to complete it... the injury came 4 days later... and I am not entirely convinced that the two were not somehow related.)

Instead, here is a list of the events I hope to complete, not for time but for fun, assuming that I get the training in for them, and if I don't then I don't and there is always next year:

January - Pub Brrrrun - check! (OK, fair enough - a run like this can't really be considered a goal race!)

April - London half marathon - it's on April 29th so if I start now, I still have time to train for this one
May - Muddy River run (maybe)
June - Tomatoman sprint triathlon
July - Bluewater Olympic triathlon (twice as far as a sprint... so this is my stretch target for the year)
August - Bulldog sprint triathlon - I have something to prove on this course this year
September - maybe Lakeside sprint triathlon; maybe the Harvest Run
October - Detroit half marathon
November & December - resume wallowing in sugar cookies

I've been enjoying using the Garmin I got for Christmas for the last few weeks. I put it on, go for a run, come within a few meters of my computer and my run data is instantly zapped onto it - a map of my route, my pace, etc. It's pretty cool and pretty accurate - you can even see on the map (pictured) where I crossed the street to run on the other sidewalk. A gadget like this and some cool tunes downloaded from iTunes make going for a run a lot of fun these days. Hopefully I can keep it up and stay injury (and pneumonia) free this year.

(PS - while I am definitely a sloooow runner - this screen shot was taken from a very snowy run with superbad footing. While I am sloooow, I am not normally THAT slow. But hey, it's still moving faster than sitting on the couch, so I will take it!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will you wallow in cake and ice cream the day before a race? Poor Jonah's guest list for birthday nĂºmero uno is dwindling!!

Carrie Cook said...

Absolutely - that's carbo-loading at its finest!!

Who can't make it??

Carrie Cook said...

I am going to throw out a guess - is that when Cory and Megan are cruising with Kid Rock??

megan said...

It is true, we will be drunk and unruley while you are eating some wholesome cupcakes. This is the only reason I am not jumping at the chance to torture myself with all that silly running and swimming and such ;)

Carrie Cook said...

I still think I am going to suck you in one day. I know you can run, I know you can bike, and I know you spend most of your summer in the pool! I will sign up and do it with you. :) Try-a-tris are pretty short...