Thursday, March 1, 2012

Who says the oldest gets to do everything first?

On the weekend, Liam decided to put his 1,097-piece Lego pirate ship together again, meaning that aside from coming upstairs for hockey and to pee and have something to eat, he spent pretty much the whole weekend in the basement. Chad was down there with him watching golf, so that meant that we girls had the run of the main floor. And so we decided to make some cookies. Actually, I decided that we should *have* some cookies, and then I put Mallory in charge of making them. This included measuring out most ingredients and - the piece de resistance - I taught her how to use the mixer. She thought she was pretty hot stuff, switching it on and off and raising and lowering the paddle so that she could add ingredients.Liam came up at one point, when he heard the mixer whirring (knowing that that usually signals good things to come). Mallory showed off to him a little bit. It's not often that Little Sister gets to learn something new before Big Brother has already had a go at it.She took her job seriously. It took her quite some time to pick out which apron she would wear for the adventure.The downside of this for me is that I had to let her lick the beater. Usually that's my job. It's one that I take very seriously and my favourite part of the whole process. I would rather eat a whole bowl of raw dough than bake it into cookies, and no, I have never had food poisoning (...knock on wood).In the end, we did wind up baking (most of) the dough into cookies, and we did share those with the boys when they were done. This time, it was chocolate chip. Next up: a batch of spring-themed sugar cookies, to go with the change of season.

2 comments:

carolyn said...

Carrie,
Are you racing the Chilly half this weekend? I'll be there and I'm wondering if I should be watching out for you.

Carolyn

Carrie Cook said...

No, unfortunately not. I was out of commission around Christmas and that messed with my training too much. Hoping to do the London half marathon at the end of April instead! Enjoy the race - the jackets this year looked pretty nice. :)